Featured In: News Generation | How To Win In Today’s Public Relations: A Forbes Business Review
October 10, 2017
How To Win In Today's Publication Relations: A Forbes Business Review
By Jillian Cameron
The field of public relations, like most things, is constantly evolving. From year to year, even day to day, the media, social media and our clients are changing. As public relations professionals, it’s our job to change with them. Constantly adapting can be difficult, so Kelly Ehlers of Ideas That Evoke laid out five tips to “win in today’s public relations” in Forbes:
- Over-Manage the Details: Pay close attention to the details – pick up on something another agency or professional may have missed. Another agency’s missed opportunity can be your golden ticket.
- Think Outside the Template: Standout against other PR professionals and strategically plan your media pitches. Target publications that “will not only lead to more placements, [but will] also grab the reader’s attention.”
- Get Creative About Strategy: Start building a message from the perspective of the audience. Using a variety of “consumer touch points” can attract viewers and allow you to interact directly with the consumer.
- Keep It In The Family: The integration of the public relations team and the social media team “offers a low-cost, high return means of creating new touch points for a growing audience.”
- Remember What PR Stands For: Try not to forget that the core of public relations is relationships. Sending a handwritten note, or even a quick email just to check in can do wonders for your professional relationships.
By keeping these five tips in mind, PR professionals can adapt to the ever-changing field and meet their client’s needs.
View the full News Generation article here.